On Friday afternoon I arrived at Dani's home for a play date. I shut off the car, put my phone and keys in the diaper bag in the seat next to me and then got Charlee out of her carseat to take her inside then come back for Bear and the bag. I took a few steps toward the front door when I heard my car honk briefly and LOCK all on its own, with my Keys and phone and BABY inside. It was about 95 degrees out and I instantly went to open the car door hoping and willing with all my might that it was unlocked. Of course it wasn't. Instant panic washed over me like a sickness. I pulled the handle so hard that I about ripped it completely off, the animalistic fight in me or "mama bear" I suppose. I ran inside and handed Charlee to Dani and grabbed her keys to hurry to my house and get the spare key! As I went to open her garage, it did not open. I froze. Dani tried resetting the breaker and we could not get it to open manually. After 2 minutes I realized it was a waste of time and called my mom. She had been sleeping and luckily thought a call from Dani's phone was worth waking up for. In a groggy haze she was able to find my key downstairs and told us she would call back for directions when she reached the cross street. As I waited outside looking in at my precious little boy I prayerfully pleaded that he would be comforted when I was unable to comfort him. He looked at me wondering why I wasn't picking him up. I'm so glad he stayed calm and sucked his binkie. I worried he would start crying and make himself hotter, when I could see he was already flush and sweating. My mom called after what seemed like an hour and Dani's phone wouldn't let her answer. There was something wrong with it. We waited a few seconds and tried to call her back, but she thought it might be her phone and turned it off and back on. We got a hold of her within a minute but my panic grew immensely. By the time she got there about 15-20 minutes had gone by. But he was fine, I grabbed him and stripped him and held him in front of a fan until his face was no longer red. What relief I felt holding my baby and knowing he was going to be fine. Looking back, I should have called the police. I love my mom and she did great, but she was equally panicked which made it hard to be an emergency response person! Everything about this story was odd to me. I never put my keys in the diaper bag. And what kind of car auto locks with the keys inside? Less than 2 minutes after closing the door? And her garage door was working just an hour before and was fine later that day. I was being watched over. Either I wouldn't have been fast enough, or I would have caused a car accident? Whatever the reason I am thankful for the safety and protection we received that day. Plus it sure put things into perspective for when Charlee pooped in the bath tub later on. Motherhood means taking your heart from your body and watching it grow and be completely vulnerable to everything this world offers, good and bad. It's nice to have heaven on my side. God is good.

No comments:
Post a Comment